Friday, October 11, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Monday morning I headed to Hopkins for a check up because I had been having fevers off and on for 5 days. As I was meeting with my nurse practitioner it was decided I would be admitted to be treated for infection and so they could keep a close eye on me. I did not want to hear this. I do not enjoy being stuck in a hospital.

For the next few days I received IV antibiotics and they seemed to start changing things right away. The doctors wanted to check my bone marrow to make sure the fevers and shakes I had experienced were from an infection and not signs the leukemia had been acting up.

The biopsy did not go well. My doctor ended up taking off his white jacket and was drenched in sweat when it was all over an hou and a half longer than it should have taken. Because of my tough hip They were unable to get a complete biopsy but from what they got they could tell it wasn't the leukemia acting up.

We had to wait 24 hours for those results to come through but once we got the word we were able to head home. This news made me happy, it was Thursday evening and I hadn't seen life since Sunday night. My heart was aching to see him again. Unfortunately I didn't get home till 11 so I wasn't till this morning when my heart was filled with joy as I was able to spend time with my son.

During this week Meagan and I have experienced much love. Thank you all for giving to us and helping us out financially, thank you all who have been praying, and thank those of you who have sent food. I also would like to say how great the nurses and techs and support staff were at Hopkins, so compassionate and helpful.

Now that I am home I need to be careful in crowds and around sick people. I am still on antibiotics for about a week and we lowered the dose of my cancer treatment so my blood counts can come up some.

I am glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment